Tuesday 28 August 2012

Good Old Friends



Ogata san has a good sized field in front of her house where she tills the land and grows just about everything. Every Tuesday she brings fresh flowers and vegetables and cooks for us. It was her 94th birthday last week and we had a birthday party for her at the house today. Last year we took her out for lunch but it was not enough. Today we had a gorgeous sushi and tempura party for her. Being the Leo she is, she just soaked up our worship and smiled like the queen she is! My camera is on the blink so the pictures are blurry.

Old Snoopy is not faring well these days. Her back legs are shot but she managed to make it down to the village festival on the weekend where everyone there did what we did for Ogata san today....Only Snoopy doesn't know when to quit when it comes to good food. She gorged herself on grilled boar meat until she couldn't walk back up the hill. I went down and found her under the table stuffed and looking like she would burst. I carried her home and later it seems she suffered a small stroke or something misfired and now she has no sense of balance. She tips over after one step. Poor pooch. After a long day at her favorite vet today she looks a bit better. 

She is over 22 years old and has been living with me for over 19 years.  The front door has been open all these years and she comes and goes as she pleases. I have a hundred Snoopy adventure stories and everyone knows her. Now stone deaf, half blind and invalid everyone still loves her. Just a wonderful character. Does her own thing, doesn't listen to a thing anyone says. A good friend who is always there making the room feel comfortable. 

Geiger found a new home and he will move out next week. A lot of dog drama happening around the house. Snoopy likes to be near him when she sleeps. A little senior dog romance happening as well.




11 comments:

  1. two elderly ladies living life to the fullest - in their own way! poor Snoopy, what will she do when Geiger departs? love the teddy bear and bunny on the birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My student who lives in Fujino is taking Geiger. I will see how to balance out what Snoopy and Geiger and I can handle and need. I can extend Geiger's stay if Snoopy seems to need him. It would be too much for me to take care of an invalid dog and keep Geiger happy with three long walks a day. He demands a lot of love and attention and I can't ignore that. The choices we have to make as we get on.
      Bryan

      Delete
  2. i had NO idea that snoopy was such an elder. oh, my. that she got herself into trouble is indicative of a life of adventure! wendy, today, was looking out the windows and ate almost her whole breakfast. the seizure thing sounds very similar. i don't think i've ever heard of such an old dog, you (and maybe the whole village?) have taken good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got Snoopy I was her third owner. The vet told me at the time she was probably six years old. That makes her 25 now. Since that is improbable and knowing her character (that she would probably lie about her age) I have her down as 22 at the vet. She has been free to come and go through the open front door. (Yes, I have no locks on my doors and windows...why do I live in Japan?) She would walk eight kilometers to meet me at the station when i used to commute to Tokyo for work. She has been on death's door a few times and bounced back. I am keeping my fingers crossed again this time.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to Ogata-san from over here in North America! If there's an appropriate moment please let her know that seeing the work she does really inspires me. Raising a glass of pretty good wine to her from over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let her know. She noses around my computer and has some idea that it is connected to the rest of the world.

      Delete
  4. Ogata san is such an example that life must be lived to the fullest. I feel lucky to have met her, she is often in my thoughts with her skills and determination to learn.
    And Snoopy...I love the idea of senior romance...dog or else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ogata san is a gem. Really....95 years old and still studying and working and helping people. She loved her party. She is so fragile and precious to all those coming and going from my house. I am touched by the Snoopy / Geiger semi-romance too. This is the kind of relationship I can handle. Just being around each other but with a lot of distance as well. Fate threw them together and they make the best of their time together. (They shamelessly steal from each other's food dish though.)

      Delete
  5. Bless you for taking such good care of the dogs in your keeping (or not, as needed!). Such an inspiring blog post ~ thank you so much. Our aged ones are such treasures, so lovely to honor them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally agree ogata-san is an inspiration. and so is the senior dog romance, their relationship seems ideal :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i find, bryan, this whole entry and the conversation after extremely compelling and beautiful. being with my elder dog has touched me, my parents died in late middle age, they were weary, but not elderly. ogata san has become a hero for me, as has snoopy! and here i have two grand octogenarian friends.

    ReplyDelete